Thursday, November 10, 2011

Horrible Bosses

"Have you ever wondered what it would be like to kill your psycho, slave-driving, horrible tool of a boss who treats you like dirt?" That, my friends, is the question that this movie dares to ask.
"Horrible Bosses" is a comedy that not only tackles this potentially dark subject-matter creatively and humorously, but also generates the knee-slapping, ROFL-inducing yuk-fests that I've missed so much in the movies I've been seeing lately.



Without revealing too much of the plot, the story is about three full-grown working men who all happen to be good friends, hate their bosses for treating them like peons, and decide to find a deserving way to make their bosses pay. Like most middle-class Americans though they have a bit of trouble accomplishing unusual tasks, including but not limited to: hiring a hit-man, breaking and entering, cleaning up spilled cocaine, staking out a victim's house, and (funniest of all, at least in my opinion) recording an actual killer's confession.

To be perfectly honest, it comes as a bit of a surprise that this movie made me laugh so much. Personally I have nothing in common with the three main characters, played by Charlie Day plus Jasons Bateman and Sudeikis, so why do I find them so easy to relate to? I am not the type of person who would wish someone dead, so why do I want to see Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, and Jennifer Aniston pay for their crimes against their respective employees?
It must be because this movie accomplished what it set out to do for it's audience. The people who made "Horrible Bosses" possible must have been a crew of excellent writers, talented actors, and grade-A editors, camera-people and stunt-drivers (seriously, this movie packs some hilarious speed-chases).

What I enjoyed most about this movie is that it doesn't take it's audience's intelligence for granted like so many other Hollywood films seem to do these days; it gives me good reasons to root for the characters it wants me to root for and to boo the ones it wants me to boo; it exercised it's impressive "celebrity-power" muscles without ignoring the talents of it's cast, and it may not have a completely original premise, but at least this movie is self-aware without being outright copy-cats (it makes reference to both "Strangers on a Train" and "Throw Momma Off the Train", two other dark yet enjoyable films that you definitely don't want to miss).

In short, this movie was so good that it's inspired me to go back to writing movie-reviews.
Thank you "Horrible Bosses" for making me want to share my laughter with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've enjoyed reading my thoughts and opinions on this movie, please don't be shy. Let me know what you think!
I respond to all comments.